Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Bellamy Cave Murders

We're going to take a quick break from Elisha's story and jump to some more sensational news. Excited? A few weeks ago I was editing a Wikipedia article for a homework assignment. Somehow, while I was editing, I discovered that there is a cave in Tennessee called Bellamy cave. More distracted research showed that the cave is located in Montgomery County, Tennessee--the same county where Elisha Bellamy had his family farm! Curious, I probed deeper.

Using a Google search, I found a newspaper article mentioning Bellamy Cave. I clicked on the link and an article popped up talking about the "Bellamy Cave Murders." Apparently, one William Morrow had been using the cave to hide bodies. Then . . .

Dr. Peter F. Bellamy!! Why would Elisha's grandson be listed as an accomplice to the murders? My ancestor was in prison? Excitedly--and a little stunned--I ran to tell my roommates. Their jaws dropped in an eerie unison. My ancestor was a murderer.

 It's funny, the information we get excited about as family historians. But it was a story full of a lot of details! However, let's take a step back and look at the source: the National Police Gazette. A quick Google search of this publication reveals that the National Police Gazette was a popular weekly newspaper published mainly for entertainment. It's not that all of the information was wrong, but it may have been sensationalized to make a better story.

The article never said that Dr. Bellamy killed anyone, just that he helped his brother-in-law cover up the murders his brother-in-law had committed. Still, it makes a person think. This seems to have been a case where racial tension caused people to make choices that are so obviously wrong today. I wonder what social pressures and personal viewpoints led to such drastic decisions. What stigmas have I picked up from society that could make awful decisions seem right? I love how family history makes me think. . . .

Don't miss the podcast on this discovery! A link is located at the bottom of the right-hand menu.

16 comments:

  1. Your podcast was a perfect addition to this very unusual find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find. The stories you and your ancestors could tell with this information. I agree the podcast went perfect with the blog. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story! I loved how you told the story and how you shared it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is quite the find! It is so interesting finding new information like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. William Morrow is my great great grandfather. I have a picture of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micah, thanks for commenting! Would you mind sharing your picture with me? I would love to post it on this blog.

      Delete
    2. Micah.....William Morrow was my great great uncle!!! I am Judy Morrow Wright...email me at jwright@plantationcable.net. I would love to have a photo if you don't mind! Thanks

      Delete
    3. I would love to have a copy of the photo. We are distant cousins. I would love to talk and find out more about the Morrows. I have done research myself, and maybe we can share what we know. Thank you.
      james.booth690@icloud.com

      Delete
  6. Awesome research! Ransom Morrow was my grandmother's great-great grandfather. Pretty cool learning about our family's scandalous past!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it cool if I link to your blog on my Ancestry.com family tree?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peter F. Bellamy was my 2nd great grandfather. I have his clock. His daughter Lillie was my great grandmother. If you come across any photos of the Bellamy family or their home you can contact me at csilberblatt@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I'm doing some research for a historical project and would love to listen to your podcast, but it seems like the link is no longer working. Could you possibly send me a link to listen? I'm on a very tight deadline so hoping you see this soon. Please email me at emma.wennberg@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ransom Morrow was my 4th Grandfather. I have done some research on the Morrow murders/Bellamy cave story. I find that Ransom and Dr Bellamy was pretty tight. As far as the cave goes, it was used for many other things besides 'hiding bodies". I would like to know more about this, and also any information and photos people are willing to share, I would love it. You can contact me at james.booth690@icloud.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey guys I'm a stepp I am related to ransom morrow he his my great great great uncle I think. I'd have to ask my pepaws brother but I would love to learn all I can about the family tree history how and who else I'm related to if u can help and are or mabey related plz email me at isabellestepp420@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a picture of William and his wife don’t know how to upload

    ReplyDelete